I’m not talking about learning to apply paint, like they say, “any monkey can do that”, well, not really because there is so much to learn about products and application. After you learn how to paint, there is the nuts and bolts of running a business, from handling customers to hiring employees. Where do you go for information and advice? Where do you turn when you have a question? Some are lucky enough to have a mentor or business partner, but many of us don’t and use a variety of local and online resources such as these:
- Informal Networking with other trades or professionals in your area
- Professional Networking like BNI or local Chamber of Commerce
- Formal training through a Union or other Program
- Local Associations like HBA’s that are a part of NAHB or NARI
- National Associations like PDCA with local chapters
- Continuing Education as part of your License
- Seminars offered by your Paint Vendor
- Joining mailing lists and newsletters
- Forums like Painttalk or Remodel Crazy
- Webinars or Recordings
- Trade Magazines
- Internet Searches
- VerNeps Magic Paint Can®
I use many of these frequently and for different purposes, and I am constantly amazed when I am at an event or in a group of other professionals and find that very few have heard of many of these resources. That is yet another reason for the creation of this blog, look around here and see the wealth of information being offered by other business owners, many just like you. I feel very strongly that it is more important than ever to educate ourselves to the best of our ability to be leaders in our industry. This will also help to grow our own businesses by using some of the best practices learned by collaborating with each other. So please share this blog with someone you think may be interested, or if you would like to contribute, contact us to submit an article.
The leaders in the paint industry are interested in the source of your information as well, American Painting Contractor Magazine and PDCA have teamed together to create a survey, you could win $250 by taking the survey. It ends July 31st, so go do it now!